We got some beef bones from Amy’s parents the other day, and I’ve been craving some good pho, so…
A quick trip to the local Asian store and I have everything that I need, plus this:
For the stock, I followed the recipe from Serious Eats:
- I had different cuts of beef, plus three big shin bones. I par-boiled the beef for ten minutes and threw away the water to remove the gunk, then let the second batch of water boil then simmer with the beef and spices.
- I roasted the ginger, shallots and onions
- I had aromatic spices (cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves, fennel, cardamom, pepper corn)
- then waited, and waited….
It’s hard when you’re smelling all this aroma and can’t eat it until the evening. yargh.
- Bean Sprouts
- Vietnamese dandelion leaves (they look like dandelion leaves, so that’s what I call them.
I’ll post the results later.